On a hill a long time ago some guys asked their Master how to pray. It was clear to them that He himself had a dependence on God in heaven and that this God worked mightily through Him. He was able to influece things on earth by talking to God in heaven!
Now, some 2000 years later we stand in a place where God invites us to partner with him in prayer and to influence outcomes on earth.
We have sought to look at this in parts so to understand how to pray. My vision for you is to be able to talk with God in a way that is honoring to Him and effective for you.
"Praying for particular things," said I, "always seems to me like advising God how to run the world. Wouldn't it be wiser to assume that He knows best?" "On the same principle", said he, "I suppose you never ask a man next to you to pass the salt, because God knows whether you ought to have salt or not. And I suppose you never take an umbrella, because God knows best whether you ought to be wet or dry." "That's quite different", I protested. "I don't see why", said he. "The odd thing is that He should let us influence the course of events at all. But since He let's us do it in one way I don;t see why He shouldn't let us do it in the other."Jesus is inviting us to partner with the Father to influence the outcome of things in life. Let's make sure we are praying!
Read: Matthew 6:9-13
9Pray like this: ‘Our Father in heaven, may your name be kept holy. 10Let your Kingdom come. Let your will be done, as in heaven, so on earth. 11Give us today our daily bread. 12Forgive us our debts, as we also forgive our debtors. 13Bring us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. For yours is the Kingdom, the power, and the glory forever. Amen.’
Let’s go right to the “DO” section and spend time in prayer this day.
Pray through Jesus’ Prayer. Stop at each main idea and talk with God about that idea. Labor with God in prayer. Seek to partner with Him for the outcomes on earth.
When I come to God in prayer I want to pray the way Jesus taught His disciples to pray. I want to come boldly but carefully. So, when we pray, let’s remember to say:
1. Our Father – take time to worship God for being a Father. Take time to acknowledge that He is in heaven and above you and your circumstances. Take time to recognize that He is worthy of your praise. Let’s enter his courts with praise!
2. In Heaven – reflect on where God dwells and where you are heading when you die. Is he big enough to take care of your needs today?
3. Holy – take time to reflect to Him how awesome and holy He is. Think through His character and His names. This is a worship time for sure. Ask Him to help you reflect His holiness in your life today.
4. Kingdom – pray for His will to be done in your life, pray for the lost and pray for Jesus to return to earth – these are the components of His kingdom.
5. Needs: pray for your needs and the needs to others. Do you know anyone that is sick or in financial trouble? Do you know anyone that needs God’s mercy or help? Pray for them. Bring the list. Now is the time.
6. Forgive: take time to confess sin and forgive others. Ask God to reveal any sin in your life. It might be an attitude or something you said, it might also be something you neglected to do. Let the Holy Spirit speak to you. Be careful not to make something up. God will communicate if you will listen. You will find He is far more gracious in His rebuke/challenge of you then you would even be to yourself.
7. Temptation: pray to be protected from the evil one. Be aware of that is going on around you. Do not be tricked or naive.
8. Glory: close in a time of praise to God’s glory.
I trust this has been helpful to you as you learn to pray Jesus’ Prayer. I trust you will see the work of God around you as you pray.
DevoLink: Devotions to help you Link with God.